Wednesday 25 September 2013

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

So, then.

Um, not giving us much to work with Hosseini, baby.

So then.
So...then.
So then....
So - then.
So, then!
So - then!
So, then?

So, then there are many ways to rewrite this all important opening line, but none of them really improve upon the original. So then I'm stumped.

You want a story and I will give you one.

Okay, so then can we hurry it up? Anytime soon, within the next paragraph would be great.

But just the one.

You're losing me. I opened the book, didn't I? So then why are you being such a tease?

Don't either of you ask me for more.

I'll be happy with one if you ever get around to starting!

It's late, and we have a long day of travel ahead of us, Pari, you, and I.

Oh, I get it. So then you aren't talking to me? So then am I supposed to be reading this novel to a three-year old? For some reason, I hear Jiminy Cricket's voice saying these lines. So, then paragraph two starts with:

Once upon a time...

...I stopped reading.

So, then:

Verdict: Fail.

Sincerely,
Rudy Globird

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't beat A Thousand Splendid Suns or Kiterunner but its still a good read. Too many characters with unbelievable unrealistic links, may get confusing at times. But a beautifully told story nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete